»  Forum

»  Homepage
»  Media
»  Timeline
»  Team

»  Calendar
»  Register

»  Log Out

Titans of Ether » TITANS OF ETHER » News » 2009 New Year Update! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Go to the bottom of this page 2009 New Year Update! « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

User Profil
Message: | composed: 27-01-2022 07:53 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
-Direhaggis- -Direhaggis- is a male

Titan of Ether
Favourite Ultima: Ultima 7 Black Gate

Happy (Very Belated) New Year, everyone! I trust all of you are well, that vacation/holiday time was pleasant, and going back to work/school/etc. didn't suck too bad. But even if it did, we have new job postings and an update!

Job Bulletins

If you are interested in one or some of these positions, e-mail me at [email protected]...or PM Zini and I on the board. Please do spread the word around.

*Interior worldbuilders wanted. Houses, dungeons, toolsheds, castles, and more. All you need is the MW CS, time, and patience. If I can vaguely learn how to put plates on tables, anyone can.

*Writers wanted. We still need 1 more dungeon writer. We also need a new writer for Jhelom. There may be other opportunities as well.

3D Modeler wanted. Spyder is one of our best Titans, but we are looking for additional help with models, textures, and the like.

Update

As usual, a disclaimer: I go on about my stuff because I know it the best. So in no particular order...

Zini: Fixed up islands surrounding Serpent's Hold, then moved on to Verity Isle. He's working on the surrounding parts of Moonglow. It's a pretty big 2x2 cell, but he's done a lot of work in little time. Let me gush again that the city is gorgeous.

Spyder: Has finished a very original model for the Lycaeum (animations and all), and done several custom models for interior work to make wholesale slaughter look more festive! His next project is Empath Abbey.

Oriphier: Still working on ship variants.

Chris J: Supplying descriptions of his Yew NPC's and ideas for their interiors to our newest interior modeler, John.

John: It's been a great pleasure collaborating with John. He's doing interiors for some of the main quest locations in Paws while Kultan is busy in the physical world. Next up will be a new location that sprung up in U9R.

Tim: Continuing to write NPC's for the dungeon Hythloth.

Conor: Continuing to write NPC's for the dungeon Despise. See previous update for a few more details.

Arnaud: I haven't heard from him in awhile, but hopefully still working on the dungeon Shame.

Direhaggis: I added 3 NPC's to Buccaneer's Den, and then 2 NPC's to a previously done shrine quest for local color. Most of my time has been spent on what I call Ch.25, which is related to Verity Isle. I've written 13 unique NPC's, 7 books at ~1,000 words each, and roughly 100 generic NPC instances of dialogue for traders, porters, mages, assistants, sentient furniture, etc. In total I wrote around 21,957 words. My next task is to write roughly 10-13 more monks for the Order of the Ethereal Void in Ch.26, finish the political arm of the main quest, and then tie up one of those item-gathering quests that go on for a long time--in preparation for getting close to ending the 'find the Guardian's weakness' part of the main narrative.

If I missed or misrepresented someone or something, please reply. If you have comments, feel free to reply as well.

Direhaggis
Lead Writer/Editor
2D Art
PROFILE :: EMAIL :: SEARCH :: BUDDY QUOTE :: EDIT :: REPORT

User Profil
Message: | composed: 27-01-2022 16:50 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
John Franklin John Franklin is a male

Titan of Ether
Favourite Ultima: Ultima Underworld

Come on, people! Interior cell building's easy! It looks complicated, but if you're familiar with Morrowind, and you give it some time, its very simple. I mean, all you need is some scratch paper, some good ideas (or steal some), a mouse with left, middle, and right click, and, as Direhaggis put it, patience. After all, its a good way to be apart of the project, and why sit on your hands waiting for Redemption when you could be actively speeding up the process? I'm a sophmore in Highschool, so how hard can it be?

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

User Profil
Message: | composed: 27-01-2022 19:10 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
Sir Iceblade Sir Iceblade is a male

Double Ace

It time that would be a problem. Sophomore in HS has a lot of time compared to free in college (which I find rather surprising still even though I am Senior in undergrad).

User Profil
Message: | composed: 30-01-2022 04:49 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

True, I have some time on my hands, but there are plenty of people who go on this site with much more free time than me. Just think about how much fun it would be to be a part of this. But... If there are more interior cell people... then I have less work... and its less fun for me.... Uh, never mind my previous statement! please feel free to sit on your hands or whatever you feel comfortable with.

User Profil
Message: | composed: 30-01-2022 06:43 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

Thread Starter Thread Started by -Direhaggis-

One misconception might be that being a part of the team = a big time commitment. This isn't necessarily the case. We value consistency and staying in touch over initial enthusiasm and then months of hearing nothing.

So if someone wants to do the dozen or so small interiors for Cove, that's roughly 20-40 hours of total work spread from, say, now to the alpha stage (which won't be for awhile). How often that someone works isn't a concern so much as they stick to it and finish it.

If we had 2-4 more people like that, we'd easily shave off several months from the ETA.

Direhaggis
Lead Writer/Editor
2D Art

User Profil
Message: | composed: 30-01-2022 06:58 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
The Unknown The Unknown is a male

Just one question Direhaggis... I know a little of the TES Construction Set, but I think I don't have much time to focus my full attention to it(studies, final exams, etc..(that's why I couldn't do it before)). Are the houses in Cove hard to make? Or are they basic, like 1 bed and 1 table with one or two misc items?

Well anyway thanks for the attention! All my regards, your well known companion,

Your well known friend,

The Unknown

User Profil
Message: | composed: 30-01-2022 18:26 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

I have yet to finish an entire house, so one of the interior worldbuilders would be able to better answer that question.

We prefer an interior space to have enough immovable and movable items to make the space unique for a given NPC. There's dialogue for the NPC, but visual elements should speak to their personality and style of living as well. Are they slovenly? Clean? Do they have few or many books? What items of their trade do they have, if any?

So it can get involved to think about what's appropriate for the NPC, but the actual arrangement and placing isn't difficult.

Direhaggis
Lead Writer/Editor
2D Art

User Profil
Message: | composed: 31-01-2022 00:23 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

(This quote has been altered to make me feel more comfortable responding to it.)
quote:
Originally posted by The Unknown
Just one question John Franklin, the great and powerful wizard... I know a little of the TES Construction Set, but I think I don't have much time to focus my full attention to it(studies, final exams, etc..(that's why I couldn't do it before)). Are the houses in Cove hard to make? Or are they basic, like 1 bed and 1 table with one or two misc items?

Well anyway thanks for the attention! All my regards, your well known companion,

The Unknown, the thing with TES construction kit is that its something that doesn't really require much attention to it. I never once batted an eye at the manual for it. I just toyed with some of the items, see what happens when you mess with something. Once you get comfortable with the placing, maneuvering and rearranging of items, working with it is as simple as building with legos. I mean, I'm in about two er so AP classes but I still have time to do my own private for my eyes only plug-ins for my own game of Morrowind as well as plan the layout of cells I'm working with on the project.

User Profil
Message: | composed: 31-01-2022 01:05 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
The Unknown The Unknown is a male

Yeah, I also tend to make my own dungeons and maps, (all having some Ultima ingredient in them Smile ) but I still don't feel so comfortable in making some interiors, specially rock caves. I sometimes do small dungeons, and when I try them I always see little openings in the connections. I still can't make an idea why that happens. I usually mix different interior static when doing my plugins (I find it fun!), and I think that factor is one of the things that makes those ''little openings'' mistakes. I'd love to help with the project, but I think I need to cover this mistakes before.

Thank you John Franklin, great powerful wizard Big Grin . Nice change on my quote Smile !

Your well known friend,

The Unknown

User Profil
Message: | composed: 31-01-2022 01:46 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

Oooh, I know! It's either overlapping or there's an opening. They're never aligned properly. I sometimes like to take care of it with just putting a rug over the problem area, but only when I'd have to redo the entire cell and it would be extremely painful. Its good to see someone sharing the same pain.

I'm working on my own little dungeon, too. But... Its kind of more like the one B movie Dolemite. I don't know if anyone's ever heard of it, but its so bad, and yet so awesome, I had to make a dungeon about it.

User Profil
Message: | composed: 02-02-2022 16:51 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
richandme

Favourite Ultima: Ultima 4 Quest of the Avatar

Funny thing, it's not the time issue that stopped me in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 from volunteering - probably as a writer as TES Construction Kit ran rather haphazardly on my computer - it's the fact that I don't want to know any plot of a game I'm looking forward to!

-- Rich.

Is bread for soup, or soup for bread?

User Profil
Message: | composed: 02-02-2022 19:22 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

I think it'd be possible to work on interiors with an understanding of the given NPCs and environment without giving away everything. Unless someone were working consistently on something like interiors relevant to the main narrative, you'd get bits and pieces of what's going on.

So I don't think it'd ruin the experience.

Direhaggis
Lead Writer/Editor
2D Art

User Profil
Message: | composed: 02-02-2022 23:06 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen
Chris J Chris J is a male

Titan of Ether
Favourite Ultima: Ultima 8 Pagan

Plus it would probably help get the game out quicker, right?

User Profil
Message: | composed: 03-02-2022 00:10 Go to the top of this page Zum Ende der Seite springen

Titan of Ether

Much quicker.

While doing interiors takes far less time than exteriors, there are still a LOT of locations that need to be done. The only other department that comes close to being the 'rate-limiting' factor for getting to the alpha stage is writing.

Direhaggis
Lead Writer/Editor
2D Art

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Titans of Ether » TITANS OF ETHER » News » 2009 New Year Update!
Jump to:

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH