RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Homepage • Chatroom • Games
Mod Database Top 100
click to vote
 hits:
magic system
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    TITANS OF ETHER Forum Index » Ultima IX: Redemption View previous topic
View next topic

magic system

How do you want to cast spells?
by putting the ingredients together
50%
 50%  [ 22 ]
by clicking on the spell and the ingredients will be used automatically
50%
 50%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 44

Corv
Leader
Leader

View My Character

Post magic system Reply with quote
(you have to log in to be able to vote)

there is a part of the magic system where you can help us decide which way we should go:

to cast spells, do you prefer:

1.) similar to U8 - you have to create the spell each time by putting the right ingredients together.
2.) like in U7 - you click on the spell and if you have the ingredients in your backpack they will be automatically used

Director, Writer, Scripter and Worldbuilder

Last edited by Corv on Tue Sep 13, 2021 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Wed Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thanatloc
Titans of Ether Fan
Titans of Ether Fan

Game Trophies:  2
Hall Of Fame Member
View My Character

Post Reply with quote
What a difficult choice Shocked ! They are both interesting.

In Redemption, their will be many "schools" of magic (atarkan, brittanian, perhaps elemental...) If one can learn a part of those different ways, maybe we can have both methods?

I mean, the ways in U8 look more like rituals and the "spells" are not always linked to scrolls (ex: the concept of earth golem verycool)

And what if one can find - what was that little thing? The one you found in "Silver Seed" and lost since entering Pagan. Ah yes - a ring of infinite reagent ? bag . The artefact provided the necessary reagents needed for any spellcast.
Wed Sep 07, 2021 8:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Fop
Ultima Fan
Ultima Fan

Post Reply with quote
COmbining the reagents into a sack for each and every spell would be a pain. Maybe you could make one spell 'template' and when you cast that sack the reagents are automatically used from another source.
Wed Sep 07, 2021 9:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michikawa
Lead Musician
Lead Musician

Post Reply with quote
I'm sort of a fan of "best of both worlds" -type of thinking. If it's possible to code easily, why not let the player decide the system via .cfg file or something? Sort of like:

reagent_system=true

row, which decides which way it works?

This assuming the script is so easy to switch it can be done like this.
Wed Sep 07, 2021 10:43 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
PanzerDivisionMarkus
Ultima Fan
Ultima Fan

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
I vote for the U7 style. I hardly used magic in U8 becuase it was such a pain(except fire magic, can't remember the name right now). It was fun in the beginning, but using necromancy got kind of tedious. Especially when you got attacked and tried to mix a spell and yeah....

At least I remember it as kind of tiresome.

The "spelltemplate" is also an interesting idea. Didn't U9 use a similar system? You had to perform a ritual to get the spell in your spellbook and to get it in there you had to use the reagents and some cool words.
Wed Sep 07, 2021 11:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Corv
Leader
Leader

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
Thanatloc how do you know that there *will* be different schools? Wink But seriously, I never said it on the board, but you are right, there is not only one magic system like in other Ultimas. So yes there is a possibility to use both ways for different systems.. But I want to find out what people prefer, to make sure that every system is close to what all of you want. There are shades of grey between those two possibilities....

@Michikawa: being able to choose the way might work for the eating system in a way, but the magic system will definitely be clearly defined.

Wed Sep 07, 2021 11:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thanatloc
Titans of Ether Fan
Titans of Ether Fan

Game Trophies:  2
Hall Of Fame Member
View My Character

Post Reply with quote
Corv wrote:
Thanatloc how do you know that there *will* be different schools? Wink

It was only some risky deductions in relation with the Atarkans conquest and the coming of mysterious orders studying magic. As the Atarkans establish themselves in britannia, they try to convert the people. It is then natural that they open their own schools (as the inquisition try to destroy the others). A second but not official school could be made by rebell mages of the council. There may be a third in relation with the previous coming of the order that observe and studies the etheral void.

PanzerDivisionMarkus wrote:
I hardly used magic in U8 becuase it was such a pain(except fire magic, can't remember the name right now). It was fun in the beginning, but using necromancy got kind of tedious. Especially when you got attacked and tried to mix a spell and yeah....

I remember that you could prepare necromantic spells and use them later when needed. Some magic in U8 was not spontaneous (well, there exist an analogy with the preparation of scrolls and that is why I prefer the word "ritual" in that case). Thus, you had to be prepared when you go further on adventure. As for being chased by undead when you need to create a new "spell", it didnt happen often in U8.
Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Corv
Leader
Leader

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
Thanatloc wrote:

It was only some risky deductions in relation with the Atarkans conquest and the coming of mysterious orders studying magic. As the Atarkans establish themselves in britannia, they try to convert the people. It is then natural that they open their own schools (as the inquisition try to destroy the others). A second but not official school could be made by rebell mages of the council. There may be a third in relation with the previous coming of the order that observe and studies the etheral void.

It's already settled which systems will exist. But that's something that won't be revealed before the game is out. But you can count two and two together from the timeline (Atarkan-Cabal, Britannia, Avatar was in Pagan...).

Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:35 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Grogdon
Worldbuilder
Worldbuilder

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
I've never played any of the Ultima games but I can easily imagine that having to combine the ingredient manually each time you want to cast a spell could get rather tedious.

Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thepal
Knight
Knight

Post Reply with quote
I like ritual. Having to put certain things in certain places and then casting.

For Britannian spells though, it should all be automatic, as it always has been.

Thu Sep 08, 2021 2:09 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Michikawa
Lead Musician
Lead Musician

Post Reply with quote
I guess one of the most important questions regarding the magic is how often the player is likely to use magic? If the character casts spells in battles and some generic spells every now and then, let's say once every few minutes I think after hour of gaming the constant rumbling around in reagent stash will become really frustrating.

Then again, if magic is sort of rare and you'll only cast spells once or twice in a few hours, the reagent setting system will probably bring something to the whole feel of magic.

For example, if I'd played mage-like character in Morrowind and would have had to set the reagents before every cast I'd have cast two spells and switched to fighter-like class Smile
Thu Sep 08, 2021 11:51 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Corv
Leader
Leader

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
I think the "putting ingredients" together wasn't clear enough. You will create spells by doing that (instead of a spellbook). This means you can create more than one and don't have to do that every time when you want to cast a spell.

Again: the purpose of this poll is to find out if people want a complex magic system or a simple one. How exactly it will then be done is another thing.

Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fop
Ultima Fan
Ultima Fan

Post Reply with quote
So, what I proposed, basically Very Happy
Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Corv
Leader
Leader

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
Believe it or not we have thought about the magic system(s) longer than for the last 2 days Wink But still, no its not what you proposed. Your idea was to make the spell and then the ingredients are automatically used (which is the Ascension way more or less). The thing I described above is: you combine ragents to create one spell which you can use whenever you want (reagents are used already), when you want to make another spell you have to combine ingredients again.

Thu Sep 08, 2021 12:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Grogdon
Worldbuilder
Worldbuilder

View My Character

Post Reply with quote
So your saying you sort of pre-set the spell and then you can use it later whenever you want?

I don't really mind how this comes out as I've never had a great likeness to magic used in games (except for a preview I saw on Dark Messiah, oh maaaan, did that use magic to it's sweetest Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )

Thu Sep 08, 2021 1:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Reply to topic    TITANS OF ETHER Forum Index » Ultima IX: Redemption All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: